Monday, October 31, 2022

Halloween and Candy

 


Halloween is here! Happy Halloween everyone! Last night our family had a small Halloween party and decorated sugar cookies and then posted them on Facebook to be voted on. Our son-in-law won the contest with a nicely decorated ghost with a blue tie. We also had a chili dinner with a family chili cook off competition. My wife won with her Turkey Chili. We all had a great time and made a huge mess with our cookie decorating!

Now, it is Halloween and we have our candy bowl ready to go. We never know how many trick or treaters we will get. Some years we have a lot, some not so much. After our kids had grown up and were out of high school we did a few Halloween nights of turning the lights off and spending that evening at the movie theater. 

Some people go all out for Halloween and fill their yard with decorations and blow up figures. We have a few pumpkins in the yard for a Fall display and a few pumpkins on the porch. We have a few small Halloween decorations inside the house. Do you go all out for Halloween? Or, do you have few decorations or none at all? Do you host a big Halloween party? I think I have only been to two Halloween costume parties. I was a robot at one and Fred Flintstone at the other. 

How about candy for the treaters? This year we have a large bowl of mini chocolates and a bowl of miscellaneous suckers, Smarties, etc. Of course, with the chocolate my favorites will be the last to be given out just in case there are leftovers that I'll need to dispose of in the coming days! I've always heard that there is a house or two that give full size candy bars. I never found that house as a kid! I always found the houses with the old lady who would give you one piece of candy at a time. The worst was getting that cheap peanut butter candy like the picture below!





8 comments:

  1. What a fun way to celebrate Halloween with your family! We have a bowl of candy ready, too, and hope we will get a few little ones in their costumes. We love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see the cute costumes. Enjoy the night.

      Delete
  2. In our neighborhood we sit out on our driveways and hand out candy to the kids. I didn't dress up, but did share in the candy. Today I ate two Twix bars and a bag of Skittles. Which for me is not a record. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of sitting outside. We had great weather here in OKC and it would have been a nice night out. Instead, I was up and down out of my recliner all night.

      Delete
  3. We didn't have any children last year. However, I did text two neighbors that I had a special treat for their girls. We're giving them a (sort of) small bag of animal crackers and Kit Kats. Everybody else will have a bag of cookies if they come early and then Kit Kats. If nobody else shows up.... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to make special bags for friends and family. The trick and treaters were out in full force last night. I ran out of candy about 8:30 and had to shut the light off!

      Delete
  4. With the arrival of the neighbor's little one 16 mos ago, a trick-or-treater has returned to the neighborhood. She arrived last night in a little purple whale costume; so cute. I was expecting her so had decorated pumpkin shaped cookies for her (and her parents). She also likes smarties. Her mom sent me a couple popcorn balls. I haven't had one of those for ages. My favorite chocolate bars? - coffee crisp & kitkats. I always get the halloween candy that I like 'cause I know who's going to eat it! I just bagged it up for storage in the basement. Out of sight; of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute costume! I do the same with buying candy that I can eat myself.

      Delete