Monday, January 1, 2024

ABQ Balloon Fiesta

 

 


During my recent three month blogging break my wife and I added a few trips for 2023. In October we went to Albuquerque and attended the International Balloon Fiesta. This event has been on my bucket list for several years and we finally made the trip out. During my career I had oversight of an office in Albuquerque and made a couple of visits during the Fiesta but never made it out to the actual event.

We attended two night sessions which included a Special Shapes Glow and a general glow. Both of those nights were spectacular. During the glow, the announcer would count down and the balloons would all light their flames for an incredible sight. During the glow they would also do several flickers in which the flames were turned on and off rapidly which made the balloons twinkle across the field. The Fiesta is unique in the fact that you can walk among the balloon field while balloons are being inflated and during the glow sessions. It was just an incredible experience! We stayed one night for a drone show and fireworks show. Both shows were very good.

We attended one morning session for a mass ascension. What a sight to behold! We were there early and saw the balloons being inflated and then ascending in mass. It was an absolutely incredible scene to walk among the balloons and gaze skyward as all the colorful balloons floated just above you and on into the sky! If you can tell from my writing, I was very excited about this event. Everyone needs to attend it at least once. I can only describe the night glow and mass ascension as "magical". I was in awe of the whole thing and liken it to a "grand canyon" moment when you first see the grand canyon from the edge and see how fantastic it is. 

A ride in a hot air balloon is also on my list. You can do one during the Fiesta but it is extremely expensive compared to booking a ride throughout the year. The expense is probably worth it during the Fiesta because once there, it appeared that some rides could be done during the mass ascension. That would be one great ride!

I will warn you of one thing...there are a lot of people at this event! But, it was well worth navigating through a crowd to see this. We chose the park and ride option and parked at a local mall and were shuttled in and out on school buses. It was definitely the way to go. I heard someone on our bus say they would never drive a car to it again because they waited in traffic for hours. The shuttle buses have a dedicated route that makes the bus ride an easy ride to the event. The buses were also interesting as the drivers had decorated the inside. One of ours was decorated with all things balloon related and the other was decorated for Halloween. 

We got a bonus during this trip that I didn't realize when I booked it. The full solar eclipse happened while we were there at the Fiesta! 

Any of you been to the Fiesta? If so, did you enjoy it as much as I did? Have any of you rode in a hot air balloon? This trip will be hard to beat and I highly recommend you put it on your list!

Happy New Year!


13 comments:

  1. Our fair town also has a large balloon event every year with glows and mass departures, though it pales on the scope of the one in ABQ. As a result, I have had no desire to go to the one in ABQ just because ours has much much less traffic to contend with. Often I can park my vehicle within a couple hundred yards of where they inflate and take off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your event lets you avoid the travel, traffic and crowds. Sounds like a winner to me!

      Delete
  2. I've heard that balloon festival is spectacular! We have a smaller one in St. Louis which I really enjoy, but it would be great to see the ABQ one some year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to visit a Balloon Festival but have yet to get around to it. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves! All the best for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just having one balloon float across catches my attention. This would be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One balloon is cool. Hundreds of balloons is just unreal!

      Delete
  5. I made my first visit to Albuquerque this summer. Although I didn't attend, I believe they had July 4th fireworks at the balloon park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most any day in ABQ you can see several balloons flying in the morning. We will probably go back there to take a ride one of these days.

      Delete
  6. It's on my list too. Thanks for the tips. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also be prepared for high hotel costs during the Fiesta. That was the most expensive part. I think the hotel rates are at least double in ABQ during that time. The Fiesta itself was very reasonable. We paid $25 for each session per person and that included the park and ride option.

      Delete
  7. In all the years that our son and wife lived in New Mexico, we never were able to see that hot air balloon ascension. It sounds wonderful though. My husband did go up in a hot air balloon in August last year when he and a friend went on a safari on the Serengeti.

    ReplyDelete