Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Little Details



I've read numerous articles and books that suggest paying attention to little details in life to help me appreciate things around me. I have done this often and seen the tiny details of various plants, bugs, flowers, etc. outside. Most often I do not go through my day looking for those tiny details.

About a month ago I was sitting at our kitchen island on a barstool and enjoying a bowl of cereal. Our kitchen island and countertops have a white granite surface. For the first time I noticed, really noticed, the granite. My wife and I have lived in this home for four years and this is the first time that I really looked closely at the granite. I focused on what I was looking at and noticed the different colors and flecks of material within the granite. I noticed how cool the quartz looked within the granite. There were several spots of quartz that appeared to have depth due to the clarity of the quartz. As I looked closely, I was amazed at how interesting and beautiful the granite was. I thoroughly enjoyed the moment and felt like I was finally seeing the granite for the beauty it was. When my wife woke up, I had her come look at the granite with my newly found vision for details. She wasn't as enthused as I was and I am pretty sure she thought I was finally losing it a little!

Now that I have seen the details for the countertop, I notice the small details in it every time I'm in the kitchen. It truly gave me a new appreciation for something as simple as a countertop. As I type this post, I have noticed, more closely, the wood grain on my desk top. I now notice a few knots that I haven't noticed before. The visible tree rings are beautiful and shows the wet years and dry years in the spacing. On the negative side, I also notice the glass top needs cleaning!

If you haven't looked at something recently to inspect the small details, I highly recommend you give it a try. Here is your homework for this post. If you have granite countertop, go take a look and see if you are as amazed as I am about the details. If not granite, pick something else and really examine it like you never have before. Please report back in the comment section and I will give you a grade for the assignment!

Not only did I notice the details in the granite, it made me curious about granite. I began to search the internet for how granite is formed, how different colors were made, what are the small flecks and colors within the granite, etc. So, not only did I notice something in a new way, I also learned a little bit along the way. It is the little things in life that make daily living a wonderous thing. So, get out there and pay more attention to the small stuff of life!

Have you noticed any small details recently? Were you as happy as I was when really looking closely at something and rediscovering it all over again? 






8 comments:

  1. Perhaps because I am a long time woodworker and life long designer career wise, I am always interested in the beauty of the materials I see around me. I often choose the wood with the most defects in it for my projects because I think it has the most character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you have seen some beautiful materials as a woodworker! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm not the only one. When we installed granite countertops I could not stop looking at all the designs within the stone. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds beautiful. We have some kind of engineered countertop which I regret now. It's got sparkly spots in it which I'm not thrilled with.
    You've now got me looking around. I need to wear my reading glasses more often to notice more details around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on needing to wear the reading glasses to see the small details!

      Delete
  4. We’ve had our granite countertops for about 20 years now, so your post was a wake up call for how I’ve actually stopped looking at them in detail apart from when I get confused as to whether it’s the pattern in the granite or a grease mark as I hover with a cloth. Mine are the opposite to yours: black with paler specks and when I do examine them, I always think of the universe, space and infinity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to bring your granite back into focus!

      Delete