Saturday, April 22, 2023

Mayonnaise Cake



One of my favorite recipes of my mother's is mayonnaise cake. As a youngster, I always cringed a little bit when she would mention making mayonnaise cake because it sounded a little gross. But, when all said and done, it was a pretty delicious cake. Her mayonnaise cake recipe is for a chocolate cake with warm chocolate icing poured on top. It is still one of my most favorite cakes. The coca cola cake at Cracker Barrel is similar to mom's mayonnaise cake. 

When my kids were growing up, mom had to tell them she made mayonnaise cake but without the mayonnaise so they would eat it. They always loved the cake with the belief that the nasty mayonnaise had been left out! To a kid, mayonnaise in a cake just doesn't seem right. It would be the same as saying you made a broccoli cake.

Another favorite cake of mine is carrot cake. Who knew that carrots in a cake would be delicious? I'm sure there are a lot of other delicious recipes that don't sound so great when you mention the ingredients. Do you have a favorite recipe like "mayonnaise cake" that sounds a little weird, but it delicious? Do you have a great recipe for broccoli cake or something similar? 

Have you dabbled in new recipes in retirement? Are you cooking more home cooked meals and desserts in retirement? If not, it is time for you to get busy and come up with the next great mayonnaise cake!





18 comments:

  1. I see this is a relatively new blog. Congratulations on getting started. I wish you success and pleasure. Thanks for visiting Hiawatha House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking the same thing when I first heard of mayonnaise cake! But it really is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family really enjoys the cake! It is so moist and delicious.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of mayonnaise cake but my mom frequently made a sour cream cake. It had a lot of chocolate chips mixed in though and not warm chocolate poured over top. I still make it from time to time and always think of her. We also ate a lot of carrot cake and still to this day, I request it on my birthday.

    I can't think of any weird desserts but I have gotten strange looks when I mentioned loving mom's wilted lettuce salads she made in the springtime when I was a kid. They envision old lettuce beyond its prime but it was essentially was fresh lettuce, chopped spring onions, a drizzle of vinegar and then wilted with hot bacon grease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sour cream cake sounds awesome. The salad sounds pretty good too. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Mitch, mayonnaise chocolate cake is an old standby in my family. I bake pineapple carrot muffins on a regular basis. I've had carrot pie & a pie with ritz crackers that tasted very much like pumpkin. I've heard of using beets in chocolate cake/cupcakes & also beet juice in grape jelly! I bake & cook regularly & often try new recipes discovered on cooking shows in magazines. Here's a recipe for a "chutney" that you might try:
    1 c drained saurkraut
    1 can whole cranberry sauce
    12 oz jar chili sauce

    s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Mitch. Hit the wrong button. To the above, add 1/4 c brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer x 10 min. Makes ~ 1 qt. Refrigerate.
    Deceptively good on any meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting chutney. I'll have to give it a try. I bet the pineapple carrot muffins are good!

      Delete
  6. I’m intrigued - you must post the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 cup sugar, 2 cups flour, 4 tbs coca, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla. Add 1 cup water and 1 cup mayo. Bake at 350. Mom didn't have noted on how long to cook. I think we do 30 minutes or so. Icing: Cook until thickens, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup milk. Poke holes in cake with a spoon handle or fork and pour over the warm icing. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Thanks - next baking day, I’m definitely giving Mayonnaise Cake a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dropped by from Djan’s blog. I never had a piece of mayonnaise cake, it sounds good to me though. My mother nor my grandmother baked. The problem is that they were from Paris (France) where I was brought up and there are so many great pastry shops all over that they just bought individual pieces on Sunday or special meals, like a Buche de Noel at Christmas. I did not try to bake myself until I was young married in San Francisco. Here in the Deep South I like to use pecans in my pastries. I’ll copy your cake recipe, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the cake. I'm not a fan of pecans but my wife loves them. She loves a good pecan pie or pecan praline.

      Delete
  9. Really? Never heard of it but I'm betting it's good. All of our parents' recipes are good. They didn't have the time or money to save bad recipes, or to cook/bake things their family wouldn't eat. I prefer to make our dinners and bake our desserts - always taste so much better than store-bought food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home cooked dinners and desserts are great. I think it is becoming a lost art.

      Delete
  10. Wow! I've never heard of mayonnaise cake. My husband and son's favorite is carrot cake though.

    ReplyDelete