Saturday, April 8, 2023

A Trip To The Library

 



I haven't visited our local public library in several months but made a trip there last week to meet my daughter and granddaughter. The library was very well lit and inviting. My daughter browsed for some children's books while my granddaughter took me back to a small play area. She played with some building blocks and wrote on an erasable sketch pad. Another mother sat in a nice chair in the area, reading, while her daughter played. It was very quiet and relaxing.

I found many books that I would like to read and picked out two. I figured that was about all I could get read in the three week time limit for checking them out. When leaving the library, we checked ourselves out quickly and without issue. The checkout table would scan your library card and then would scan and record the books as you placed them on a table. The whole process was easy and enjoyable.

I told myself that I need to put library visits on my weekly "to do list". They still have a decent amount of magazines to browse through and had a the local newspaper as well as the Wall St. Journal. I think I could easily spend an hour or two catching up on the current magazines and news. I noticed they had This Old House magazine that I could probably pick up a tip or inspiration from. 

As I browsed the library, I was reminded of what a gem that public libraries are. You can borrow and read a book for free. You can browse through magazines and newspapers. You can take an interesting class or have a club meeting. There are programs for children for crafting or participating in reading sessions.

I read a few books a month and get most of my books from thrift stores and garage sales. I get a few books as gifts for birthdays or Christmas. The problem with me buying books is that I buy more than I can read and have them stacked on bookshelves and in my closet. If I would just use the library, I could get books for free and the added benefit is that they store them for me on nice, organized shelves. I really need to consider this option more often!

Do you utilize your local library? If so, what programs have you participated in? Do you use the library just for checking out a book, or do you sit for awhile and read magazines and newspapers?


12 comments:

  1. My library is much different than yours, or perhaps my reading habits make it a much different experience than yours. About 30 years ago, I read a non-fiction book for enjoyment, for the first time. It was an eye opening experience that I could be entertained while learning something new. Since that time, I have read almost exclusively non-fiction books (with the exception of one fiction author I read voraciously as a young man and still do) and my library is not friendly to me. They have continually whittled down their racks and floors of books to just a small alcove. Instead they have become a welfare distribution center. They focus on computer equipment, movie playing equipment, video game equipment, gardening equipment, fishing equipment borrowing center. They have racks upon racks of DVD's, both music and movie, probably equal to the number of racks of books. Just focusing in on the books, half are children's books. The remaining half are 90% fiction, how-to, self help, etc. that I will never read. of the 5% of books that are actually in the category I read, 90% of them I have read and the remaining 10% of them have waiting lists often upwards of 6 months long. Then I must account for the $10 in fuel it takes me per round trip to get a book, should they have one that I want to read and not checked out. For that $10, I would rather just save up and buy them for pennies on the dollar at local garage sales and auctions. Nobody ever bids against me because they aren't interested them if they aren't western or romance. When I'm done, I donate them to good causes and among others like me who read mostly non-fiction.

    I hope someday we end up full circle and my library will toss out all that other stuff and put back all those racks and rooms of books that I remember from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That library is much different than my experience. I think they have gotten away from their primary objective there. I hope it does turn the corner and becomes the library that you need it to be.

      Delete
  2. I have not been to our public library in a few years, even though it is beautiful and well stocked. It just seems to have fallen off my radar. Thanks for the reminder to stop by there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great experience if you make it to your local library!

      Delete
  3. I hope Ed's experience is atypical for most. Our library system has actually gotten rid of DVD's except for regular sales.

    Phyical books occupy most of the floor space, along with computers, an entire second floor for children's books and space for story time and early literacy events.

    Our library system has a huge electronic book system offering virtually everything that is on the shelves downloadable without ever leaving your home.

    One service offers 700 newspapers from all over the world, along with at least a thousand magazines for every interest. Again, this is completely accessible from home and is free.

    English as second language classes and free tax help are there, too.

    They just added a game cafe, with hundreds of board games for all ages, along with refreshments.

    In short, libraries remain one of the last free, welcoming spaces for everyone wirh enough to stimulate, educate, and entertain all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a great library! Our library also has a lot of magazines for viewing on a program called Flipster. It's not the same as holding one in your hand, but they have a great selection to browse through online.

      Delete
  4. I don't visit the library as often as I used to, but that has to do more with my shifting reading habits (more online and less physical). However, I was just there last week to do some research in Consumer Reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have gone to reading on digital devices. I just like holding the real thing in my hands and flipping the paper pages as I read through.

      Delete
  5. Our local library is part of an inter-library group, so we can get pretty much any book we want, although it often takes a few days. Lately, the library seems to be acquiring fewer print books and more and more electronic books. I read electronic books if I have to, but much prefer the old-fashioned kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you and prefer a good old paper book in my hand. Two books I wanted were not available but could be ordered. I just selected two off the shelf for the time being.

      Delete
  6. I can remember the first time I went to the local library as a kid. It was like Christmas. I still experience that. So many books at my fingertips or a short wait away. I've quit buying books b/c of the accessibility at the library. I see the local library as a community hub offering courses to all ages & internet access. Recently, I accessed a cookbook, something I hadn't done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears that you are getting full use of your library. I hope to be more like you in the future!

      Delete