Thursday, October 20, 2022

Cruising Ducks

 




On our last cruise I found a duck with a tag attached to it. My granddaughter had found one on a cruise about a year earlier. That was the first time I knew of such a thing as a "cruising duck". The tag says "Oh what luck, you found a duck! Keep or hide, you decide". The tag also asks you to post a picture to Cruising Ducks Original Facebook page and has the name of the person or family that hid it. I posted a photo of me and my duck from our last cruise and then joined the Facebook group. I never knew that cruising ducks were such a big deal. I was very excited to find this duck and looked for another the rest of the cruise. The Facebook group has postings of the duck collections that people are taking on their next cruise. Some take 20, some take 100 or more. It's crazy! 

Some recent posts show people that have bought 3D printers to print ducks. Some are bedazzling their ducks with small jewels. Some are knitting ducks or making duck jewelry. The cruising duck scene has a life of it's own. The posts that show people who have found ducks are heartwarming. You can see the joy on their face as they display the duck they have found. Some have found one duck after searching for them for many cruises. Some have found numerous ducks on one cruise. It is all great fun!

We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks. I decided we would hide a few ducks to get in on the fun. This will be our first cruise to hide ducks and I'm excited to make someone's day. I've already gotten carried away with buying a wide variety of ducks. I have stopped buying and will take about 45 on our trip. Some are small and came 4 to a package. Some are a little bigger and are different colors. The last 5 I bought were blue and had snowflakes on them. I figured these were perfect for a November cruise.

If I'm successful at hiding them and find a few myself, I can see this turning into a fun thing to do on all future cruises. Has anyone out there found a duck on a cruise? I don't think the trend is very old and just got started the last couple of years. It is a fun thing for all cruisers regardless of age. Have you heard about this "cruising duck" craze? 

Have you heard of or experienced any other similar trend in your travels? I recently saw a news show about Block Island off the coast of Rhode Island where a local glass blower hides glass orbs every year along a walking path. The story showed proud owners of the orbs and talked of people who have hunted for the orbs for years without finding them. Have you heard of any other "treasure" hunts like this that are ongoing? All of this sounds fun and I would love to find one of the glass orbs some day. For local retirees, this would be an awesome walking activity while looking for orbs!





7 comments:

  1. Another fun Facebook group I've stumbled upon recently is an Abandoned Art group. People crochet, knit, blow glass, make stained glass, share jewelry, woodwork and so much more. Many members leave it in parks or on local walking trails like you mentioned. What a fun way to share what you love to do and make someone's day all in one!

    Happy Cruising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I suppose someone could start something similar in their own neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. The ducks are a trend with Jeep owners down here. We have seen interiors just covered with ducks! My daughter owns a Jeep and has had people leave them on her hood for her to find. Hadn’t heard about the cruise ducks though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister owns a jeep and just told me the same thing. It must have been a jeep owner that started the cruise duck craze!

      Delete
  3. I find on Facebook that people are finding quilted hearts... I found one in my local park and re-hid it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so fun! Little things like that bring a smile to someone's face when they find it.

      Delete
  4. Look high and low. I found my last one in a bar lounge area early in the morning. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete