Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Podcasts



Wikipedia states that podcasting began in the 1980's as audio blogs and then began to catch hold in 2004 as podcasting when portable digital devices became available such as the iPod. According to Wikipedia there are currently over 115,000, English language, podcasts available on the internet.

During the last two years, I began listening to a few podcasts and have found a few that I really enjoy. I have found that listening to a good podcast is similar to being drawn into a good book. A good podcast will have me visualizing the story and feeling as I'm right there in the middle of it. With the large inventory of podcast to choose from, you can find one that peaks your interest. Podcast are great for times when you are looking for a little entertainment. I have sampled some podcasts that are very well done and I have listened to some that were very poorly done. There are so many options to choose from, so you can treat them like a book and start and quit an episode anytime you want. I have started several that I have quit after a few minutes.

Podcasts can be used for simple mindless entertainment, they can be used for self improvement and they can be used for learning something new about a topic you are interested in. You want to learn how to manage your money, there are podcasts for that. You want to listen to standup comedians, there are podcasts for that. There are podcasts for about every topic you can think of. They also have a wide range of the size of the episodes. They can range from one minute up to several hours. Most of the podcasts that I have listened to are an hour or less. 

A podcast that I have really enjoyed is called Infamous America. A few days ago I finished a series about the North Hollywood robbery in LA in 1997. It was very well done and very interesting. Previous to that I had listened to several series about 1930's gangsters such as John Dillinger and Bonnie & Clyde. There are many lists on the internet about the best podcasts to listen to. If you are new to podcasting, I would start with one of those lists or simply search your areas of interest on you Podcast app on your phone.


I recently browsed through podcasts in my app and downloaded several of interest. I will listen to them when I have the time and see if any are worth listening to. I downloaded episodes from On Purpose with Jay Shetty, Philosophy Bites, The Retirement Years, Feel Better Live More, 7 Good Minutes and Beautiful/Anonymous. I'm sure I will begin with the shorter ones such as 7 Good Minutes as the title suggests, the episodes are only 7 minutes long.

When you search the subject of retirement, the majority of the podcasts seem to be focused on the financial aspect of retirement. As a current retiree, I would be more interested in the fun side of retirement and the daily living of retirement. So, for any prospective podcasters out there, I see an opportunity for you! 

Do you listen to podcasts? What are your favorites? Do you listen to a certain genre of podcasts such as true crime, comedy, history, etc.? I'm certainly interested in checking out any suggestions. If you listen to podcasts, do you find them entertaining and helpful? 

If you have never listened to a podcast I suggest you give it a try. You may find one that you really enjoy and add a new element to your retirement.



6 comments:

  1. I'm a podcast listener and have been since the early days of the internet. In the early days, there was a local talk radio program that I really enjoyed but being that it was from 10 until noon when I was usually not at home, I rarely did get to listen until I discovered that he saved the day's episode as an MP3 file online in an archive. So I learned to just listen to his days episodes one day later in the evening. Eventually I joined the smart phone world kicking and screaming in protest but soon realized that I could download podcasts onto my phone and listen to them at leisure. I did so when I could wear tethered airpods in my ears which wasn't all the time. But a few years back, I became aware of bluetooth earmuffs that not only block out loud noises I create when I'm working on projects but can sync with a phone and play those podcasts. Now I regularly listen to three podcasts most days, all being NPR shows, Science Friday, This American Life and the Moth Radio Hour. If I'm doing something that requires more time, like say driving 20 hours to Virginia, I will search for limited series type of podcasts and download some of them which I can sync to my car radio and listen to pass the time. I'm not sure how I survived the days of scanning the dial looking for a music station that didn't lull me to sleep. To me, they are just the modern version of books on tape but don't have to be checked out, returned, or require a drive to a library to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have taken full advantage of podcasts! They would be great on a road trip. I'll have to try that the next time I have hours to drive.

      Delete
  2. Several years ago, I created a podcast that was the audio equivalent of my blog. I started before the explosion of interest; that might explain the lack of involvement from the listening public. Also, the fact that I produced it in my office, with a basic theme song and little else might have made it kind of boring. Bottom line, I decided the time involved in writing and producing, then promoting the podcast, wasn't worth it.

    Things have definitely evolved, so today's choices are usually slick and professional. As you note, there isn't a topic that isn't covered, some very well well, some not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine it is a little time consuming to do a good podcast with music, recording and editing. You have found your niche with blogging.

      Delete
  3. When I do listen to podcasts, I've tuned into Rachel Maddow's Ultra.

    ReplyDelete