Monday, June 12, 2023

An Older Couple


A month or two ago my wife and I were staying at a hotel while visiting my wife's mother for a few days. We checked in at the front desk and were given our two keys and our room number. We hauled our luggage up to the room and quickly became frustrated when the keys did not work. I tried both keys and kept getting a red light on the electronic lock. My wife went downstairs to get new keys and returned with the desk clerk who was going go make sure our keys worked this time. The clerk scanned the keys and opened the door. We all were at the door looking at a young man sitting at a desk in the room looking at us. The clerk asked who he was and why he was in the room. Apparently, the previous desk clerk had checked him into the wrong room while showing him actually checked into another room. We followed the clerk back to the front desk to get reassigned a new room. We had a good laugh and I joked with her about making sure our new room was not occupied already. All went well and we finally got settled into a non-occupied room.

I am 57 and my wife is 54. The next morning, I was enjoying some coffee down in the lobby in the breakfast area. Other early risers included numerous workers who were in town for some type of construction project. While sitting there, I hear a young man telling his co-workers about sitting in his room when his door was opened by the desk clerk and an "older couple". He related that he was glad he hadn't just stepped out of the shower and the table of workers had a good chuckle. 

Older couple!! What the heck, I thought, as I digested the fact that my wife and I were referred to as an older couple. I'm not old, at least in my mind. An older couple should be in their 70's or 80's! I guess to a young man in his late 20's or early 30's, a couple in their 50's is an older couple. I laughed inside at this designation as an "older couple" and my wife got a good laugh at it when I told her the story.

I guess age is set by the observer. Much like the fact that there is always someone else who makes more money or has a bigger house, I think there is always someone else who is "older". I guess that will hold true until I hit my 90's or the big 100. 

What is your view of the age of an "older couple"? My wife's parents have always talked about the "old people" at church. They have referred to "old people" even when they were late 70's themselves. We always found it funny, when we left their house, after they talked about the "old people" at church. 

Do you have a similar "older couple" story to share? Surely we are not the only couple who has overheard someone refer to us as an "older couple". It was a funny experience to go through and gave me a good topic for a post, but if I ever see that punk kid again, I'm going to challenge him to a foot race!!


 

13 comments:

  1. This was a good post. I have a friend who removed the word "old" from her vocabulary and does not allow the use of that word by others. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, the definition of old people was a lot wider than it is these days and I suspect will continue to narrow until the point I give up and consider myself elderly.

    My wife and I had a similar experience happen in a hotel once many years ago though we were the ones already inside the room when the door was opened. Since then, I have always used the security chain or device the minute we close the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are smart to lock that door. We were lucky we didn't stumble into an embarrassing situation.

      Delete
  3. Maybe the younger dude in the room was surprised an "older" couple would check into a hotel room for romping and "fun!"
    In 2006, when my son started college and we were moving him into his freshman dorm room, we were challenged with the few electric outlets available. He had several things to plug in besides his computer and desk stuff: a small fridge and microwave. I told him I didn't have all that much stuff to plug in when I started college and didn't have a microwave or fridge. He paused and said, "Mom, they didn't HAVE microwaves when you started college!" Ouch, that was '72. That's genuinely "oldish." Next time, make lots of noise for that younger dude! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son is correct about not having a microwave or fridge or cell phone or computer.....I think the only thing plugged into an outlet at my dorm was my roommates tiny black and white TV.

      Delete
  4. As I'm approaching my mid-60s. "old" is someone who's been on the planet 20 more years than I have :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that designation for those older than me, but that sure gives a lot of people 20 years and more younger than me the opportunity to call me old!

      Delete
  5. Older couple stories to share? Let me narrow it down to one. My cousin, her partner & I recently bucked up & split 4-5 cords of firewood. My young neighbor commented that he saw "old guys" working at the woodpile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wrote a post on aging. I wish I had seen this first...I would have quoted you. Old defies definition and in the eyes of the beholder. I am 82 and still talk about the "old people" and I am not one of them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the blog post. https://www.retireinstyleblogtoo.com/2024/02/dont-ditherbe-smart.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. None of us want to believe we are getting into the "older crowd"!

      Delete