Thursday, June 22, 2023

Summer Projects

Summer is a great time to tackle a few projects. Over the years, I have planted trees, completed landscape projects, painted the exterior of a house, roofed a house and many, many more projects. Most of those Summer projects were done after work hours and on weekends. In retirement, projects can be done any time and any day and I love it. Retirement also affords the opportunity to work on projects at a slower pace because I no longer have to complete the project in a certain time period so I can get back to my job.

This Summer I have completed a few small projects and just last night completed painting my garage doors. The paint on the doors had faded with the constant exposure to the sun. I caulked across the top where it needed new caulking. I washed the doors down with a good soapy mixture to prepare it for a new coat of paint. I have a three car garage with a single door and a double door. On Monday I painted the single door and last night finished the double door. I enjoy painting once I get started. Painting gives a lot of satisfaction to see the difference a coat of fresh paint can make.



My dad like painting. Sometimes he loved painting. If he found a half of a can of purple spray paint at a garage sale or in the back of his shop, you can be sure that something was getting painted purple by the end of the day. 

My next big project also involves painting. Our pool filters are located in a large fiberglass tank. The sun has done it's job on the tank and the tank is chalky looking and I get tiny fiberglass fibers on me when I open it up to clean the filters. My hands and arms get very itchy if I touch the tank at all. My plan is to lightly sand the tank and paint it with marine paint that is designed for fiberglass boats. That should solve my itchy problem and make the tank look much better. It will be an all day project by the time I unhook the tank from the pool pump system and then prep and paint it.




Do you use your Summer for projects? What have you tackled so far this year? What are you future projects that you have planned? 

Get out there and enjoy the Summer in whatever you do and stay cool out there!

8 comments:

  1. Good on you for setting goals and making plans. I have some regular things that are done each year and then projects are done like painting a fence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to always be another project that needs completed!

      Delete
  2. I'm still waiting for a string of empty days to get a few bigger projects finished, but now that the weather is keeping me inside I've tackled some office decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decluttering is a great thing to tackle! Good luck.

      Delete
  3. This week I’m setting up a solar powered self watering system in the greenhouse as well as completing all my planting out. If the weather breaks, the kitchen is waiting to be decorated. Never a dull moment when it comes to projects in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something that needs done. The solar powered watering system sounds great for your greenhouse.

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Mitch. In the words of my SIL, there's always a list of things left undone. Two projects were completed this spring, which seems to be the time for me to get rolling on projects. My cousins & I bucked up & split ~ 5 cords of wood from the trees cleared from a fence line replaced a year ago. That took up many mornings. My neighbor & I replaced a corral at the barn with freestanding panels. That won't have to be replaced in my lifetime. Budget, time, energy, availability of help all factor in to the completion of the to-do list. I try to get a project done annually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your projects are much more physical than mine. Good for you, you get a good workout and a completed project!

      Delete