Thursday, February 2, 2023

Maps


The earliest know map in the world was etched on a clay tablet around 600 B.C. in Babylon. Ancient Greeks produced the first paper maps in the world. In 1579 the Guang Yutu atlas was produced and included 40 maps and using a grid system. The first maps of the entire world began in the 1500's as explorers sailed the seas discovering new lands never before seen by Europeans. In the 20th century aerial and satellite surveillance have made maps as precise as possible and make the map and direction apps that are in use in everyday life.

I saw a news story one day this week about paper maps making a comeback. Apparently, the younger generation has a new interest in paper maps. I have always enjoyed using a Road Atlas when planning and taking road trips in the past. The Road Atlas is a wealth of information that you just can't see spread out on a single page of internet web page on your phone or computer screen.  

With the Atlas you can see a lot of out of the way places of interest. I have used an Atlas when planning long road trips from OKC to the California coast and I have used it for short trips from OKC to Dodge City, KS. You can easily chart your route across numerous states and note any places of interest that you would like to explore. On our family trip to Dodge City, I noticed an interesting place in Greensburg, KS. Greensburg is home to the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well. So, I had to put that as a stop along our drive just to see what this place was. It turned out to be a very interesting museum that was about the well and about a tornado that destroyed the town in the past. Then we walked down a staircase into the well. How many of you have ever been to the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well? I bet not many!

If you were to look up your route on your phone in the maps app, you don't see this site listed unless you really zoom in on Greensburg. Which, you would probably never do if you were just passing through. The Atlas is so much better at showing you interesting sites in one easy, hand held, paper map book. Maybe the younger generation, now interested in paper maps, will not miss out on all the interesting spots out in this great world of ours.

I remember, back in the 90's using Mapsco books at work to get around the DFW area. I did not like those things. You had to find the address you wanted and then find what map page you needed. Then one page was so zoomed in that you had to flip to the page before or the page after to figure out where you were going. The modern smart phone is much better at getting you from one location to another. We also had maps for all the bigger cities in Oklahoma. When you need to go to one of those cities, you picked out the appropriate map from the map drawer and hit the road. My, how times have changed.

Paper maps would still be very handy these days if you found yourself somewhere without cell phone coverage. Some people couldn't get across town without using their directions from their phone with Siri telling them every turn to make. 

Maps are used to get from one place to another. Maps are used to plan details of vacations and weekend trips. Maps are used to track where you want to go or track where you have been. In our Road Atlas, I use a highlighter and mark every state we have been to on the U.S. Map and then sometimes highlight the entire route of a vacation road trip on the state maps within the Atlas. I've seen a few RVs that have a map on the back with colorful states placed on the map as the travelers have visited those states. I have a canvas world Conquest Map on my wall that I bought for a wall decoration. It came with pushpins so I can mark where I have visited and where I plan to visit. I just don't want to mess up the beautiful map with holes, so my map remains pin free at the moment. 

There are problems with a paper mat. Most do not show you where a good dining spot is or where the next hotel will be. It won't give you reviews of the sites it shows on the map. It won't give you advice on "things to do in xyz city". The smartphone or computer are much better tools for planning a lot of travel details. Another big problem with a paper mat......folding the darn thing if it is one of the foldable ones. Atlas, no problem. Folding map equals frustration. 

Do you still use a paper map in some instances? Do you use the Atlas as a planning tool for road trips? Have you seen anything interesting because you spotted it on a map and thought "you never know until you go"? Do you have a wall map that you use pushpins to mark where you have been and where you wish to go?


10 comments:

  1. My name is Ed and I'm a maphead! I can spend hours looking at an atlas, inspired by locations in someone's blog post. I have plotted a course by Greensburg, KS just so I could see the largest well. Unfortunately when we arrived it was mid day and pouring rain so hard, there was about four inches of standing water everywhere. We continued on our way without seeing it... that time. I keep track of every state I've visited. I'm down to Alaska and Rhode Island and I don't think I can get to both on the same trip. I highlighted my routes on a road atlas for decades until the thing finally just fell apart in tatters.

    But I'm not so nostalgic for paper road maps anymore. I like satellite technology which gets me from point A to point B without any stress of missing a turn or going in the wrong direction. For finding offbeat sites, I rely on Atlas Obscura. For places to eat and sleep, I rely on my wife. Finding those places is her thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ed, welcome to the club. Too bad you missed out on the well! That would be some trip to hit your last two states in one trip. I would highly recommend seeing Alaska via a cruise.

      Delete
  2. Love paper maps. They give me a better orientation vs a small digital screen. I don't hear, "Turn left now" when the only thing on the left is the bank of a lake! Nor do I hear, "you have reached your destination" when I'm at a dead end & the destination is still .5 mi away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the "you have reached your destination" before you get there is annoying.

      Delete
  3. After the time we got stuck on an interstate and no one at a nearby gas station could give us instructions for navigating on the state roads I keep a road map in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of a time my wife was reading the map and directing me on a trip across the top of the Texas panhandle into Oklahoma. Suddenly, we ran out of pavement and hit a dirt road. I looked at the map and it clearly showed an unpaved road. We laughed and kept on going!

      Delete
  4. I like paper maps, esp. old ones. but truth be told I mostly consult google maps these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the only time I refer to a paper map is a long road trip when I use the Atlas. Otherwise it is the maps app on the phone. So convenient.

      Delete
  5. My brother actually chortled last week when he spotted a Road Atlas in my car and no SatNav. Mind my husband and I also had a giggle watching The Apprentice when the candidates confessed to being unable to read the maps they had been given; I guess some young people either never venture into the hills or, if they do, just assume they'll get a phone signal which certainly isn't our experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having that Road Atlas in the car may save the day one day and then you get the last laugh.

      Delete