Monday, July 8, 2024

More Preparation

 


My son and I had a discussion last year about purchasing first aid kits for our vehicles. He bought a kit for his car. I never did, so I got online last week and bought two kits and the following is the reason why I got motivated to be more prepared. 

On a recent trip to Kansas City to visit the WW1 museum, I was reminded to be more prepared for emergencies. My son, my wife and I were driving up Interstate 135 when we came upon a vehicle accident just south of Newton, KS. We rolled up on this major accident within a minute or two of it happening. I could see a jackknifed big rig across the interstate and a badly damage car closer to us. I asked my son if he had his first aid kit and he said he did. He grabbed his kit and we headed to the damaged car to see if we could give assistance. 

One man had beat us to the car and was walking back toward us when I asked if anyone was in the car. He replied that he didn't see anyone in the front but did not check the back. I went up to the car and had to move the side airbags away to look in the back seat and back luggage area. Luckily, I found the car empty. Another woman walked by us carrying a towel and said there was a body in the road. We returned to our car and tried to calm down a little. I tell this story to emphasize preparation again. My son's kit was a first aid kit that included the basics but also has chest seals and a tourniquet. Had we come upon someone hurt, we would have had the tools to bandage a small wound or for something more serious until first responders arrived.

We later learned, through an internet search, that the driver was a 29 year old female. She had crossed the median and hit the big rig head on. The cause was unknown and she was not wearing a seat belt and had been thrown from her car. We were shocked at the loss and I wished the outcome would have been better, but I was glad we were prepared had we found a child or another person needing immediate first aid. I hope to never come upon a scene like this again, but if I do, I want to be prepared. 

I bought kits that included one tourniquet and chest seals. I had training on using both during my career. I recommend that you watch an instructional video online to learn how to quickly apply either of these life saving tools.

Similar prep can be done at home for a variety of things. I have a fire extinguisher in the garage. I have placed bottled water in our underground shelter in the garage. I'm sure there are more things that I can do for other situations that may arise. I do not have 6 months worth of food, water and ammunition stored up like a true prepper may have. But, I hopefully have a few basics to get me through whatever comes my way.

Do you have a first aid kit in your car for emergencies? How about a small took kit, jumper cables or other emergency items? If you have a kit, have you ever had to use it for a more serious situation? Do you have any other preparation ideas that I need to consider?

Stay safe out there!!

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a first aid kit but do have a small tool kit and jumper cables. I think a first aid kit is great though I'm not sure I would ever use a tourniquet or chest seal on another person outside of my immediate family. I think I would only give the injured person things that they could treat themselves with.

    Having a wife and parents who were in the medical profession in some fashion over the years, I have seen way too many lawsuits over what the incapacitated patient or surviving relatives deemed as faulty care. Medical professionals and licensed first responders are generally immune to these sorts of lawsuits so they don't often go anywhere but I'm sure me, Joe Happen Upon the Scene, wouldn't be. Being a Good Samaritan these days can cost you everything you have saved up for. Thus, I would rather dial 911 and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point on liability and the lawsuit happy world we live in. That is something to consider in these situations.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that we need to buy a new fire extinguisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! You hope never to need it, but want it available if the time comes.

      Delete
  3. Long ago we had a small kitchen fire. Our extinguisher had expired. I did call 911 first, but sent our kids out to ask neighbors if they had one. The neighbors and fire department arrived at the same time and they did check all the extinguishers after making sure the fire was out. Not one extinguishers was working, all had expired. Lesson learned. Check the dates when you check your smoke detectors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me to check my extinguisher dates. Thanks!

      Delete