Monday, January 16, 2023

Making The World A Better Place!



Back in my working days I had two sayings that I uttered on most mornings to my wife and kids. One was "I'm off to make the world a better place!" and the other was "I'm going to work to make money for cookies!". In my last post I talked about my interesting career in law enforcement. When uttering the "I'm off to make the world a better place", I headed into the office to help stop some crime, bring justice for the victims and possibly bring restitution to those victims. Just my little part in making the world a better place. In all of our careers, and then in retirement, we can make the world a better place. Even if it is a very small improvement in our own small environment or a large improvement to the world in general.   

When I think now about making the world a better place, I think I am doing so every time I put something in the recycle bin or I plant a flower or tree. These are very tiny things but things that do, in fact, improve the world a tiny bit. We all can make the world a better place with physical acts such as these or even greater acts involving helping others, righting wrongs, volunteering, etc. In my own environment, I make our local world a better place by repairing something in the house, painting a part of the house that needs a touch up, getting rid of unused things and also any cleaning of the home or yard. I believe we make the world a better place with a simple smile or compliment given to someone. I believe we make the world a better place by raising responsible children and grandchildren. 

Sometimes I will voice "I'm making the world a better place" after I wash and clean my car or I take out the trash. These are probably not great examples of making the world a better place. I feel I don't have the talent, skill and money to make large scale improvements to the world. When I think of great improvements in the world, I think of the Gates Foundation that has saved countless lives through immunizations and health care in the poorest parts of our world. I think of the non-profits that drill water wells and provide drinking straws that filter water to those that don't have clean drinking water. I think of preachers spreading the gospel in secluded and dangerous areas. And, I think of those organizations that feed millions of the hungry around the world.

I have not made major inroads to making the world a better place. I have not started a non-profit to help those in need in some way. I have not invented or discovered anything that will change the world. I just march along through life making small contributions to this world of ours. 

Do I make the world a better place by putting bird seed out for the birds in my back yard? Do I make the world a better place by helping my family with a variety of chores and tasks? I think the world is a tiny bit better when I do those things.

Have you done anything major in your life to make the world a better place? What do you do on a regular basis that you would consider making the world a little better? What large and small efforts do you think about when you think about making the world a better place?


4 comments:

  1. Mitch, never underestimate the power of one. Add up all the so-called little things and see how it adds up. My nursing career was one of service like yours in law enforcement. That was big with all it entailed. Being part of a family and all it entails is big in its own right. I've volunteered in various capacities in the community - a rural community association; Home Routes music organization; Habitat for Humanity. Service now involves caring for my 19 mo old neighbor when her parents are busy with their ranch work and advocating for my 90 yr old mom in an assisted living lodge setting. I think in terms of community with concentric circles of connection. My commitment is close to home. I trust there will be ripple effects into the outer circles of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all affect others and cause ripples through this world. Most of the time we will never know how we impacted others through some of our small deeds and interactions.

      Delete
  2. After stopping work, I began volunteering my time to several organizations around town that have a game plan for making the world a better place. I like that I don't have to put in much thinking to do so, only effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you can just show up at these organizations, without much thought, and then have a positive impact as an individual and group.

      Delete