Saturday, September 4, 2021

Charity Work and Volunteering


Before I retired 2+ years ago I read many articles on retirement and retirement happiness. A lot of articles focused on money and different strategies of saving and spending in retirement. Many articles on health and well being. Many articles on where to live. And, many articles on filling your time with activities, including volunteering or charity work. I thought the idea of volunteering sounded appealing at the time and thought I would start doing something like that soon after retirement began. Well, here I am 2+ years in and I haven't done any volunteer work at all. Since retirement, I seem to be pretty busy even if I'm busy doing nothing at all. I did leave my name and phone number at one charity thrift store because they had a sign up that said they were in need of volunteers. I said I could shelve items and test electronics. Sounded like it would be a job that I would enjoy. I never heard anything back and I'm not sure the kid I gave my info to really passed it on the the manager or not. I've shopped in that thrift store many times since, but didn't inquire or follow up on volunteer work.

I have seen on several blogs and in several articles that retirees can get overwhelmed with volunteering some times because once you do one thing, many other people and places begin to come to you for your help. I guess once you get started it sometimes is hard to say "no". 

I still think I need to give back some of my time and skills somewhere, I'm just not sure where. I guess once I got on a schedule and knew every Wednesday from 1-3pm was my time, I would get used to it.

There are food banks, homeless shelters, charity thrift stores, charity 5Ks, etc that probably need volunteers on a regular basis. In the past my wife and I have served food at a local homeless shelter. It made me think of how lucky and blessed I was every time I did it. So, I agree with the theory that giving is good for the soul. I just need to get myself motivated.

With the world still in a pandemic, is even safe to be out volunteering? I'm vaccinated, so I feel pretty good about being out, but I'm still cautious and awaiting a booster to come out to make me even more confident about getting out. 

Do you volunteer anywhere and if so how is it going? What are other ways a retiree could help others? Have you found yourself like me with good intentions but little or zero follow through? Are you one of those that has done too much volunteering? 


“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Gandhi


“Every person can make a difference, and every person should try.” – John F. Kennedy

6 comments:

  1. Retired in 2019. Soon after started volunteering at the Georgia Aquarium. It is a very good piece of my overall retirement. Worked my way up from being a greeter, working behind-the-scenes preparing the food for the whale sharks, to finally getting to the position that I really wanted - a gallery interpreter. I'm learning a lot. They do offer classes, and I do take them. But much more time must be spent learning each of the species I talk about. I really enjoy this and am very glad I did it. I currently do one four-hour shift a week. I love learning interesting tidbits about the species and sharing them with the guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great fit for you! It is good you have found something that is of great interest to you.

      Delete
  2. I belonged to a local rural community association that hosted a rodeo and other equestrian events, maintained a campground and did fund raising events at the community hall. Preparing for and hosting the July rodeo took the majority of the time with sponsorship, contract acts, advertising, volunteer rosters, etc. I also hosted Home Routes folk concerts 6 times a year. My role was to house and feed the performer(s) and get an audience. This was a highlight of my life. These two regular volunteer gigs have fallen by the wayside during the pandemic and I'm waiting to see how things play out before resuming. My mom is in a seniors' lodge and I did some ad hoc volunteering there when there were special events. I do believe in giving back to the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the saying goes "God loves a volunteer". The rodeo sounds like a lot of work. It appears that it brings you great joy and hopefully you can become fully engaged with it in the near future. Volunteers are some of the unsung heroes out there. A lot gets done because of all the behind the scenes volunteer work being done by people like you. Keep up the great work!

      Delete
  3. I'm not retired (yet) but I did a lot of volunteering in my "younger" days when the kids were in school, etc. Used to volunteer at church in kids ministry, but we changed churches last year and haven't started again with volunteering there. Might one day. My husband is retired and I don't think really wants to volunteer much unless it would have to do with music as he is a great guitar player and plays on the worship band at church, which of course is volunteering his talents. I think if one can find a niche that they enjoy and it doesn't get to be too much of a time commitment, volunteering can be very rewarding.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on finding a niche. The two comments above yours found that niche and are fulfilled. Your husband is using his talent where he enjoys it.

      Delete