Sunday, May 16, 2021

I Think I Can

 


Or, I should have titled this "I'm Not As Young As I Once Was". We had a pretty nasty ice storm over the winter here in Oklahoma City and the whole area had terrible damage to trees. Broken limbs everywhere, with some trees having to be cut down or trimmed severely. I have a large oak tree in the backyard that came through the storm with just a few limbs broken. Recently, I looked up into this tree and saw two large limbs that were broken and hanging down and still attached to the tree. They were both too far up to reach from the ground to cut them out easily. As I looked up into the tree, the 25 year old in my head said this is doable. I can get a small ladder to get me to the first branches and then it appears it would be an easy climb to get to the branches. Haul up an electric chain saw, what could go wrong. No problem, easy peasy. At 25, I was strong and agile and there would be a  99.9% chance that I could handle this task. However, the 55 year old in me still thinks it is doable with no issues. The wise 55 year old also knows the odds are now probably 60% that I can handle it without losing a grip or slipping off a limb and breaking something. Sticking with statistics, my self confidence level is high and I calculate that there is a 99% chance I would make the 60% success rate. 

Luckily, my neighbor asked me what I was going to do about the limbs and offered to help with a pole saw that should reach the limbs without me risking a fall. I haven't completed the task yet, but wisdom may win out on this one. 

In retirement, and as I get older, I have been avoiding a few things that I would have done in my younger days. I don't go quite as high up on the ladder, I don't get on the roof, I don't try to lift the heavy stuff without assistance of a wheelbarrow or dolly. I'm still fully confident that I can balance on the top rung of the ladder and stretch as far as possible with no issues. I'm still fully confident that I can get on the roof and run around with no problems, although the pitch seems to be getting a little steeper every time I look at it. I'm still confident I can lift the 300 pound potted plant without a problem if I really wanted to.

My 25 year old in my head also continues to tell me I'm not old yet. I really hope this continues until I'm 100 as long as it doesn't cause me to die from falling from a tree! I have always heard about older people falling and breaking a hip or other bone. Although I'm not 100 yet, I am aware that this body is aging. I searched for reasons older people fall I found a list of 7 things.

  1. Sarcopenia- Loss of muscle mass that starts at early as age 30.
  2. Loss of flexibility
  3. Decreased Proprioception- Awareness of where our body is in space and how to move which results in slower reaction time and balance.
  4. Dizziness- naturally or from illness
  5. Medication
  6. Nerve damage
  7. Poor Vision

I had a fall about a month ago in the back yard. I was pulling a few weeds in a raised flower bed along our back fence. As I stepped down with one foot, I hit a muddy spot and my foot slipped right out from under me and I fell on my right shoulder. I laid there for a minute and was hoping I hadn't broken something. My unexpected trip to the ground was due to the mud and not one of the above reasons. Fortunately, I was fine but it proves how quickly something can happen. So, I'm listening to the 55 year old and I'm staying out of that tree in the backyard!

Has your younger self told you that you can do something that winds up backfiring on you? What have you stopped doing as you have become older?

10 comments:

  1. Part of the reason we moved to a condo was to give up the exterior yard and housework. The less there is to do the smaller the chance that something could go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. You have eliminated some dangerous items such as hedge clippers, mowers, trimmers, ladders, etc.

      Delete
  2. Haha, you missed the main reason on your list! Overconfidence! My partner thinks he can still do it all as well and though he has never fallen I believe that’s because I am his Voice of Reason constantly advocating caution. I, however, have learned caution by falling off (a smallish) ladder a couple years ago picking cherries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, I almost titled this post "Self Confidence"! Keep being his voice of reason, my wife is my voice.

      Delete
  3. I am always having to remind myself that I'm not so young anymore, and yes, that I break more easily than I ever did before. Of course I'm still active, but I don't take the risks that I once did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of us have that young voice in our head. You have it figured out- active without high risk.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mitch! I so agree that it is easy for us to forget that our "now" age isn't what our "earlier" age is. And like you said, that will probably last as long as we are around. As for that voice of reason, I tend to think that the more I write about and am willing to speak about the advantages of getting older, the more likely I am to remember that I can't do what I used to do but I can do (and be) so much more than what I used to! Thanks for the thoughts...~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thought on we can do and be more that what we used to be. I agree totally. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I have an unstable knee joint so tend to be extremely cautious. Less so my very elderly mother who, still recovering from a calamitous fall in April, confessed to climbing her loft ladder last week, box in hand, to store it up there. I guess it’s a continuing balance (no pun intended) between our perception of the risk against our perception of our capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like mom had an "I think I can" moment. Hope she heals well. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete