Friday, December 23, 2022

What Is Retirement?



There are several definitions of retirement that I found in searching Google. One definition is the withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life. Another definition is the stage in life when one choses to leave the work force and live off sources of income or savings that do not require active work. Another definition states that retirement is when one leave the workforce for good. Retirement means different things for each of us. Some can fully retire from the workforce but choose not to and stay in their active working life until they can no longer physically perform the work. Some retire from a full time career but take up part time work and thus are not fully retired by the last definition. Some can never fully leave the work force due to lack of a pension or adequate savings. 

I met a man a few months ago that was painting a house in our neighborhood. He had just come down off a ladder and was at his truck when I had a short conversation with him. This young man of 76 had been painting houses for 40 years. He said he still loves the satisfaction of a paint job well done. He was still getting up and down the ladder even though he had fallen off the ladder into an empty hot tub on a recent job and hurt his shoulder. He said it still hurts and he was to have a MRI soon to see if surgery is needed. I jokingly said that maybe he should hire a younger man for the ladder work and he agreed. This 76 year old looked to be in great shape and I'm sure his work helped keep him that way. I don't think "retirement" was in his vocabulary. In his opinion he was doing something he enjoyed and would continue doing so as long as he could.

We all know or have seen people who work late in their life. We see politicians that work into their 80's and sometimes die while holding office. I can't imagine that being an enjoyable position and imagine it to be very stressful with the travel and the bickering that happens in the political arena. We see actors and singers who love their profession and also perform as long as they can. I heard the other day that Indiana Jones will be back this Summer! There are many old bands that still tour the country with the members in their 70's and 80's. You would think after 40+ years on the road they would want to retire and settle down!

We each have our own expectation of retirement and what that life looks like. I guess some have the mindset to retire as soon as possible and pursue other activities while some never think about retirement because they enjoy what they do so much. I guess I can't say I'm retired as I do a little part time work, only about 5 hours this last year but by the last definition I have not left the work force for good. In my opinion I'm retired. For some, retirement is a beach house in Florida. For some, retirement is travel around the country in an RV. And, for some, retirement is sitting in a recliner and watching TV all day. 

What is your version of retirement. Do you have a "pie in the sky" vision of retirement where you and your spouse are super fit and walking hand in hand on a white sand beach everyday? Or, is your vision of retirement more reality based? Is there an age where you think you should give up your working life or are you an old rock star that will rock until you die?


Foreigner Still Rocking!


11 comments:

  1. I think the reason a lot of people stay in the workforce is because of the power the job gives them . . . maybe not your house painter, but the politicians, rock stars, hedge-fund managers, high-powered lawyers and doctors. Then there was my uncle. He stayed on the job until well into his 80s . . . I guess he liked his job okay, but really it was because he was afraid of his wife at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the power angle but I think you are exactly right! I also forgot to mention farmers. They seem to work until they can't also.

      Delete
  2. I left the work place behind 21 years ago, and miss none of it. That was a satisfying and fulfilling time of my life, but that chapter was closed and put on the shelf in 2001.

    Retirement has it's own special feel and pace that is unique to each of us.

    A very Marry Christmas and holiday season, Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and your wife too. I have enjoyed your blog and your comments this year!

      Delete
  3. I retired 8 and a half years ago but 6 months later took up the office of Parish Clerk for my village. As I work between 15 and 25 hours a month in that capacity but only get paid for 10, I view it as volunteering and have always considered myself as retired. Recently, I gave notice and by your second definition assume I’m about to retire again - sounds like an excuse for a celebration anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you classify it as volunteering and doing your civic duty, I'd classify you as being retired and giving back for the good of the community. Certainly celebrate every chance you can!

      Delete
  4. Full time child care is a lot of work. I applaud you! My wife and I care for our three grand daughters through the week (twin 1 year old and a 3 1/2 year old) and it wears us out sometimes. It can be more taxing than an actual job. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mitch, I popped over here from Kathy's blog (I'm always happy to find another blog even semi-focused on the joys of retirement). I retired when I wanted to, not because I had to. I left an interesting, fulfilling job but I wanted to spend time doing what I wanted: travel, leisure, time with family and friends.

    I remember having a conversation with someone in my former company who said that he could retire but, at least so far, had decided not to. My response to him was that, in fact, he was retired. Once you can retire (financially, emotionally, etc.) but decide to continue working because it suits you, than in my book you are retired. After all, ideally, our retirement should be full of doing what we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Everyone's view of retirement is a little different. Some find fulfillment in many different ways including working in their profession as long as possible.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mitch, I saw your blog on Kathy's (smartliving365) list and had to come over and take a look. You have posed a good question, and one that I have been discovering the answers to since we retired in 2006. I say 'we', because my husband and I sold our business that year. He technically retired, while I still had two more years of child rearing to tend. Before our daughter came along, I had a career in HR, but my life's work was Mom. When our daughter went to college I officially joined my husband in retirement.

    What we have learned these past years is that retirement is just another phase of life that must be navigated with intention. There is no-one-size-fits-all blueprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that retirement has no blueprint. There are a lot of helpful suggestion out there but one must develop there own personal path in retirement. And, once you start, you must make many adjustments along the way. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete